Where does the creative exist in your life during a day or a week?
Maybe you garden or cook? Maybe draw or sing? Write or journal?
But, wait. There may be more. Creativity doesn’t necessarily mean only expressing yourself through art.
What about your creativity within parenting? Or collaborating with colleagues at work? Or beginning that work project? Or even how you unfold each day in your life?
Creativity is a fundamental expression of the human being. An expression of the authentic self engaging in the world. One that can only be unique to you.
“Everybody has a creative potential and from the moment you can express this creative potential, you can start changing the world.” -Paulo Coelho
Creativity is essential to our health and well being. As long we are creating, we keep growing, developing, and evolving, as individuals and as a community.
If we cease to create, then our life energy decreases. Decay and deterioration enter in. Our state of health declines.
Creativity is like a refreshing breath of life for us, helping us to thrive. It feeds us, making us feel invigorated, energized, and alive. It gives us the gifts of vitality, health, and strength.
Let me share with you 5 ways that creativity supports you in becoming the best self you can be in your life.
1. Improves your mood: Being creative on a regular basis helps you remain grounded and centered, even in chaos or stressful situations. It helps to reduce stress, similar to meditation. It enhances your energy and invites you to play, have fun, and experiment. You engage in learning and being curious. As a result, more generosity, openness, and positivity blossom within your life.
2. Able to solve problems in new ways: In creativity, you explore new avenues, new possibilities, new perspectives. This enhances your ability to be creative in solving problems in your life – in relationships, at work, within society locally or globally.
3. A longer and healthier life: Within creativity, you feel more alive and connected to the world. Curious about life and engaged, more of a childlike quality. This reduces the risk of illness and disease, including conditions such as Alzheimer’s, and increases your healing potential. You live longer and with a healthier, higher quality of life. Now even proven in scientific studies!
4. Builds confidence: Through creativity, you connect with your self more deeply and learn a little more. You grow and stretch yourself, moving out of your comfort zone. You challenge the status quo, engaging in new experiences. You enter into a space where you do not have to have all of the answers. You come to trust your intuition, trust your feelings, and to trust your self.
“The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you’ll discover will be wonderful. What you’ll discover is yourself.” — Alan Alda
5. Make a difference in the world: Through our creativity, we can engage our own talents and gifts while we imagine and create the new ideas, the new solutions, the new ways of thinking that are needed within our communities. Becoming a powerful healing force in the world.
I hope you are inspired to go out and be creative today! If you’d like to explore new ways of being creative, join our supportive community within my doctorofthesoul classes each month. Find out more here.
I was born in London, England, educated in Switzerland, and am fluent in English, German, Spanish, and French. I hold a Doctorate in Ministry Degree and Masters Degrees in Counseling Psychology and Education. Also, I am an accomplished artist and educator. I use all of this and much more when helping others heal their souls.